Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Whirlwind #1

Wow, what a day.  I'm pretty tired and still trying to beat this cold, so I'll do a quick summary.

I was tired enough to sleep through a marching band practice about 20 yards outside my window this morning - Heidi was in utter disbelief when I finally came out of hibernation.  My itinerary yesterday took me through four U.S. airports before landing in San Jose, spanning about 20 hours from door to door.

The pastor of Sola Fe (our church) and his wife stopped by this morning.  Sergio ate (his second) breakfast with me and then showed me around San Pedro and San Jose, including the most crucial bus lines for me to learn.  He also helped me buy a cheap prepaid phone, which went significantly better than last time (see June 10 on jakeacrossthepond.blogspot.com for reference).  We walked around a bunch, then came back for lunch.

After lunch, Heidi took me through a presentation on the histories of Costa Rica and Nicaragua, since most of the members of the congregation are immigrants.  I never realized some of the major differences, but one analogy really stuck out to me.  Nicaragua was like the Deep South of the USA - a few white men running huge plantations based on indigenous, imported, and self-procreated slave labor.  Costa Rica was more like the United States' Midwest, where the government gave land they didn't really have to predominantly white settlers who worked it themselves.  Single white men who wanted to get rich quick were the typical Spaniards in Nicaragua.  Families trying to build a better life went to Costa Rica.

I had a little break at this point, where I practiced some guitar, then we went to the church.  We went first to Gregorio's house, but they quickly shoved me back out the door with a woman whose name I forget now.  She took me to a nearby home and served me supper while she and her daughter watched a telenovela (soap opera).  I thought it was odd that I would eat by myself, but I didn't want to be rude.  Afterwards, we returned to the other house where they were cooking supper.  When they sat down, I was implored to eat again.  I ate rice and some kind of meat or egg at all of these meals - egg and ham, chicken, beef, and fish.  The food is like the coffee - not spicy but incredibly rich and delicious.  I also had fried plantain slices (twice). Heidi later explained to me that this pre-supper is a common way to offer hospitality.

After supper #2, we went to a confirmation class.  This was quite the eye-opening experience.  The kids were obviously excited to be there, but they were under nothing I could recognize as control.  We sang a few songs and then went through an article of the Lord's prayer.  I'll save you any details, but it was certainly a challenge I have never experienced and one I look forward to meeting.

After that, it was just bus, blog, and now bed.  I am very tired, as I said, so I bid thee good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment