Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday


Well I'm watching youtube videos to catch up on political developments in the US for the last month or more - I pretty well missed the entire rise and fall of Rick Perry thanks to the LSAT.  My internet is too slow to actually load the videos realtime, so I'm going to write while they load up.

Today I got the chance to go to a farmer's market in San Jose called the mayoreo.  I bought a bunch of fruits and veggies, several of which I'd never seen (let alone tasted).  I also bought a pressure cooker, which was a complete mistake.  Either it's missing a part or no one in this apartment complex can figure out how to lock down the lid.  It's not the good old lock-on kind but a weird winged contraption with a sort of handle in the middle you're supposed to rotate to raise the wings and tighten the lid.  Regardless, I managed to make tortillas, black beans, chayote (imagine a fruit that most closely resembles a potato), and rice with peppers, onion, and several cloves of garlic.  I love me some garlic.  I've really enjoyed cooking here, if you haven't noticed the theme.

While I'm still job-hunting, I'm very excited to start up English lessons at the church this week.  I'm going to run a beginner-level help session every day and an intermediate class on Tuesday.  The help session is going to be very informal, but I hope it will be a big help to the kids.  Basically, I'm just going to offer tutorial and homework help in an English-speaking environment.  I have no idea how many will show up or how old they'll be, but hopefully we can make it work for everyone.

Church went well today - I successfully (with a little help) figured out a melody on a recorder, which I didn't really think I could do.  Wendy is going to stop by with her saxophone early in the morning so we can start working on an arrangement, so I had better hit the sack.  

No comments:

Post a Comment