Saturday, January 7, 2012

Requiem

Date: Jan 7, 2012
Listening to:  Robert Buckley Farlee - Requiem


In Latin, the word simply means, "rest."  I can't think of a more applicable way to resume a blog I've left to smolder for over a month now, but unfortunately there's a more poignant meaning behind it right now.  My friend and fellow member of Chorale and VuVox at Valpo, Christopher Patterson, was serving as a Combat Engineer in the Indiana National Guard in Afghanistan when he was killed in action.  I don't know exactly when, where, or how, but the story broke yesterday and my prayers go out to his family, his ΦΜΑ brothers, and the rest of us who were touched by his voice and his heart.  I personally had the privelege to sing with him in Chorale and VuVox.  You will be sorely missed, but I look forward to singing with you again someday.

Colonial Museum
You see, it isn't that I haven't wanted to write or even that I haven't been doing so.  Rather, whenever I've tried, I've come up with a horribly pessimistic draft that I can't revise into civility.  My heart was aching for home when I wrote my last post.  I went home and loved the time I was able to spend with my family and friends.  I came back and couldn't help but wonder why I was doing so.  Even after 2.5 months, finding an apartment, finding a job I love, and helping at least one young man pass his English tests against many odds, I still felt like I was floundering, looking for something or someone to impact in the name of Christ, humanity, or at least productivity.  I spent New Years' Eve curled up in my bed because my stomach decided to react to all that negativity in ways I had forgot it knew how to do.

Ripe coffee beans
Last week, a group came from Sesquehanna University on their "Central America Service Adventure," which is themed around the Images of Christ in Central America.  Yesterday, they left for Nicaragua, but from Monday through Thursday I worked with them as a translator at Sola Fe and in Pavas.  It was some of the most fun I've had since I came here.  I worked with VBS, construction, and medical teams throughout the week, and it was pretty incredible to watch what 30 or so people could do where 1 person (namely, me) had been trying for so long.  It really humbled me - I realized that I'm not going to be able to have that kind of heavy impact because I'm just one man, and there's something very freeing in seeing the comparison.  If any of you (Sesquehanna students) are reading this, look me up on Facebook - I want to see those pictures!  In addition to working in the communities, I also got the chance to visit a few new places like the Biblical Latin American University, Our Lady of the Angels Basilica, a Columbian-era art museum, and a coffee plantation.

Colonial Church
I'm exponentially more excited about this "semester" than I was about the last three months because I'm finally going to get the chance to travel outside San Jose starting next week.  I can't wait.  I also get the chance to work with another group from Valpo for two weeks, and with that group I actually get to go to Nicaragua for about half the time.  Add in the fact that Heather (and hopefully my family) will be visiting me along the way, and March 29 is going to be here very, very quickly.

So, to come full circle, I apologize to any of you who had been reading this blog regularly for my little Christmas hiatus.  I hope to be updating it much more regularly over the next few months with many more details and photos, though it may come in big chunks after I travel.  On a more serious note, Chris's passing has made me think about my own family and friends quite a bit over the last few hours.  I'm so incredibly thankful for each and every one of you, and if you're one of the 99% of that group who I don't tell this to enough, I love you and I'm so glad to share this life with you.  ¡Hasta la vista!

No comments:

Post a Comment